Each year, Tourism Tofino receives dozens of visit requests from media outlets and journalists around the globe who reach potential visitors with their articles and posts. While we have resources to plan detailed itineraries for certain major media outlets, some writers prefer a self-guided visit. Our Media Passport program gives these pre-screened journalists, bloggers and social media content developers access to a range of non-accommodation member business offers that help them shape their stories.
Because participating businesses will likely receive editorial (earned) coverage, offers are typically provided free of charge or at a significant discount to media guests. In 2019, more than 20 member businesses received media coverage as a direct result of their participation in the Tourism Tofino Media Passport Program.
How do you participate?
As in past years, we are seeking a variety of offers from member businesses across various sectors to include in the 2020 Media Passport. Here are some offer examples from this year’s version:
- 2 for 1 on a group surf lesson.
- One complimentary whale watch and an additional 50% discount for a second guest.
- Complimentary brunch and non-alcoholic beverage for two.
- 30% off private 1-hour Beach Yoga class for two.
Offer Requirements and Submission Deadlines
To have your offer included in the 2020 Media Passport it must be:
- Valid beginning January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. You can set blackout dates, restricting your discounted offer during peak periods. Please also indicate if your offer or experience must be booked in advance.
- Received by Tourism Tofino before December 12, 2019. We reserve the right to edit your offer for length and clarity and will work closely with you to get the language just right before the Passport is printed or distributed.
Thank you to all members who have participated in the Media Passport Program to date. To learn more, receive a sample copy of the 2019 Media Passport for reference, or to submit an offer to be included in the 2020 program, please contact:
Lynda Kaye, Media Relations